- 8 oz Whole Wheat Fettuccine
- 1 TBS Butter
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 2 tsp Cornstarch
- Pinch of Ground Nutmeg
- ¾ cup Low-Fat, Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- ¾ cup Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano Cheese
- ¾ cup 5% Greek Yogurt
- Salt & Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Prepare the
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick sauté pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until it is fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the cornstarch and the nutmeg in a small bowl. Whisk in the chicken broth until smooth. Pour the mixture into the sauté pan, raise the heat, and bring the sauce to a simmer, whisking occasionally. Whisk in ½ cup of the cheese until it has melted. Remove the sauté pan from the heat and whisk in the yogurt until the sauce is smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the cooked fettuccine with the Alfredo sauce. Season with salt and pepper to taste, if desired. Top the pasta with the remaining ¼ cup cheese and serve.
Yields 4 servings
- Instead of garnishing the dishes with the remaining cheese, whisk it in with the original ½ cup. It will offer a thicker, richer Alfredo sauce.
- Use a low-carb pasta like Carbanada, made by Al Dente, to lower the impct to your waistline.
- Skip the pasta altogether and replace it with a faux vegetable-based “noodle”; I like to use zucchini!
- Grilled chicken breast makes a great protein add-on.
- For color and/or flavor, add vegetables like mushrooms or roasted red peppers (packed in water).
DiSpirito, Rocco. “Now Eat This!”. New York: Ballantine Books, 2010.