- 2 TBS olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, diced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 5 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large can crushed tomatoes
- 8 to 9 oz fresh or frozen tortellini (meat or cheese filled)
- 2 to 3 TBS chopped fresh parsley
- Black pepper, to taste (I use 1 tsp and add it in with the other spices)
- Heat the olive oil in a medium soup pot or large saucepan. Add the onion, zucchini and carrot. Saute over medium heat for 8 to 10 minutes, stirring often, until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the stock, basil, bay leaf, tomatoes and salt to the pot. Increase the heat and bring the mixture to a low boil. Add the tortellini and bring the soup back to a low boil. Cook it for 2 minutes, then reduce the heat and let it simmer for 5 to 6 minutes longer. Gently stir in the parsley and pepper during the last minute or so.
Yields about 6 servings
“Tortellini Vegetable Soup.” Recipe. FamilyFun.com. 2010. <http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/tortellini-vegetable-soup-682394/>.