- 1 large eggplant (about 1 ¼ pounds)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 TBS olive oil
- ½ cup diced yellow onion
- 2 cans (11 oz) tomato sauce, no salt added
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 cup part skim-milk mozzarella cheese
- 1 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375.
- Spray a 9” x 13” baking dish with cooking spray.
- Remove the skin and stem from the eggplant with a vegetable peeler or a small kitchen knife.
- Cu the eggplant into ¼ inch circles and arrange them overlapping in the prepared baking dish.
- Evenly sprinkle the eggplant slices with the salt.
- Drizzle the oil on top of the eggplant.
- Distribute the onions evenly on top of the eggplant.
- Pour the tomato sauce evenly on top of the eggplant, allowing it to disperse throughout the slices.
- Evenly sprinkle the basil, oregano, parsley and thyme on top of the sauce.
- Spread the mozzarella and Parmesan over the top.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and golden brown.
Yields 6 servings
Furtado, Margaret M., and Lynette Schultz. “Healthy Living Cookbooks: Recipes for Life After Weight-Loss Surgery. Beverly: Fair Winds Press, 2006.