- 4 small (4 inch) pita breads (whole wheat, preferably)
- 1 can (6 oz) low-sodium tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 4 TBS grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup cooked, boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 1/2 in cubes
- 1/2 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 can (2.5 oz) sliced olives (drained)
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Lightly spray a sheet pan w/ cooking spray1
- Place the pita breads on the sheet pan
- Spread about 2 TBS tomato paste on each pita
- Distribute the oregano, basil & thyme, parmesean, chicken, mushrooms, olives and mozzarella evenly onto the pizzas2
- Bake the pizzas for about 15 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and begins to brown
1If you don’t like doing dishes, skip the cookie sheet and use tinfoil. I recommend doing no more than two pitas per piece of foil; it makes it easier to remove from the oven that way.
2Mix all the spices together in a small dish before distribution for an even spread of flavors. I’ve also mixed the spices n w/ the tomato paste first but, truthfully, it just tastes better layered.
Here’s the best part of this recipe: IT NEVER GETS OLD!!! You can do so many things to switch it up that pita pizza weekly is possible w/o being repetitive (or unhealthy). What’s even better is each pizza is individual so even the pickiest eaters can have a uniquely yummy, yet healthy, lunch or dinner. My step-son loves “just cheese please” & his father prefers “sausage & pepperoni”. Everyone’s happy each & every time!
A couple of other topping ideas: turkey sausage crumbles, turkey pepperoni, turkey bacon crumbles, onions, green peppers…The list goes on & on! I will be trying sugar free BBQ sauce instead of pizza sauce next, topped with turkey bacon crumbles, mushrooms & onions – A healthy take on one of my favorite specialty pizzas from my favorite pizza joint! ENJOY!